birding-aus

Richard's Pipits Nesting High in Tree (topic was Crake up a Tree 2)

To: <>
Subject: Richard's Pipits Nesting High in Tree (topic was Crake up a Tree 2)
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:39:59 +1100
Observations of crakes in trees remind me of an observation of a pair of
Australasian (Richard's) Pipits nesting about 12 metres off the ground in a
tree in the Barossa Valley, SA in December 1986. This is unusual because
pipits normally nest on or close to the ground. We don't know if the nesting
attempt was successful because we only visited the site once, but the birds
were delivering food to the nest at the time.

We were having a picnic at the time and there was no doubt about the bird's
identification... we had good views of the birds, all four of us were
experienced bird-watchers (collectively, we had over 50 years bird-watching
experience between us) and we were not drunk even though we were sampling
Barossa wines at the time!

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW