birding-aus

Great Egrets in breeding plumage

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Great Egrets in breeding plumage
From: "Jan England " <>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:25:07 +1000
Hi Everyone,

This afternoon I was visiting a pond in Palmwoods (Sunshine Coast) with a large
number of breeding waterbirds  - Cattle Egrets 100+, a few Little Pied
Cormorants, a few Little Black Cormorants and about 3-4 Great Egrets.  When I
arrived one of the Great Egrets had spread its plumes similar to that of a
Lyrebird or a Turkey with them fanned out around its body.  It maintained this
posture for well over half an hour basically staying in the same place the
whole time.  It was up on top of the tree with other birds and I couldn't see
whether it had a nest closeby.

I have never seen an egret with its plumes spread to such an extent although
another one nearby also had his plumes spread out.
Is this normal courting behaviour?

Jan