birding-aus

Digital SLR for bird photography - delete if no interest!

To: "Paul Dodd" <>,
Subject: Digital SLR for bird photography - delete if no interest!
From: "Alistair McKeough" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 07:06:43 +1100
Go to.a shop. Try the Nikon and the Canon. Go with whichever you prefer.

Get the best lens you can afford and the cheapest body with a decent
fps and autofocus system. Again - fiddle in store and you will work
out what you like.

I shoot Nikon but inherited a Canon 500 f/4 IS from my Dad so bought a
body for it. I've taken over 20,000 photos with each of Nikon and
Canon over the past 2 years. I prefer the ergonomics of the Nikon. The
final output from each is equally good.

Anyone who tells you one is "better" than the other is just imoosing a
personal bias. They are as good as each other. The lenses are equally
good. The cameras are equally good. Nikon tends to be less likely to
"lock out" features on it's consumer models to maintain its pricing
hierachy but that is the only major difference I can think of. If one
is "better" at a particular price point  it's just the stage of the
product cycle and the other will be "better" again in a few months.

So, in a nutshell, get Canon or Nikon. Buy the one that feels right in
your hand.