birding-aus

Great Bowerbird

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Great Bowerbird
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 23:47:24 +1100
Hello All,

The recent discussions concerning the colour preferences of Bowerbirds prompted
me to take a closer look at a couple of images I took last year. This was a
Great Bowerbird in the camping ground at Katherine Gorge.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/Roger.Giller/Bowerbird?authkey=4Vn75JPnxeM

Most of the decoration is white or light grey pebbles. There are also several
"ring-pull" tabs, most of which appear to be on the periphery of the pebble
field apart from two inside the bower. Notably there is a green object (the
only one) right at the entrance to the bower. I can't help thinking that this
placement is more than accidental, as is the placement of the ring-pull tabs.
By contrast any Satin Bowerbird decoration I have seen appears to be entirely
random. Is this careful placement of the decorative elements by Great
Bowerbirds documented?

Roger Giller