birding-aus

Crimson/Eastern Rosella Hybrid?

To: <>
Subject: Crimson/Eastern Rosella Hybrid?
From: "Michael Dufton" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:31:25 +1000
Hi All

We saw this bird in company with a Crimson Rosella on a property near
Stanthorpe SEQ last weekend. Thought it was just another Crimson Rosella
till we saw it had white cheeks. Then thought Eastern Rosella but the chest
was red all the way down with only a small yellow patch on the belly between
the legs and the back was red/black not yellow/black. The rump was blueish.
There was also just a faint blue tinge to the margins of the white cheek
patch. There were many Crimson and Eastern Rosellas in the area. Is
hybridization common between these species?

http://picasaweb.google.com/michael.dufton60

Leonie & Michael