birding-aus

Juv Cuckoo id

Subject: Juv Cuckoo id
From: GEOFF BOWEN <>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:07:09 +0000 (GMT)
Hi allI've just spent an interesting day in the Monarto area, not far from
Adelaide. In the morning I walked the Browns Road area, seeing the Black
Honeyeaters that have been present for a few days now. Then in the afternoon, I
visited Monarto Conservation Park, where I found a Southern Scrub Robin (more
correctly, it found me ! almost hopping over my foot) and a Shy Heathwren
feeding a youngster. This youngster didn't look much like the parent, so I
started thinking that it was likely to be a cuckoo. The juv was basically a
soft grey above with a clear white supercilium and a smudge on the ear-coverts,
off white below, and unmarked as far as I could see. The tail showed a green
sheen & some rufous on outer feathers at the base which extended to the
undertail area as far as I could tell. There was a clear pale eye-ring
surrounding a dark eye. My own very limited experience of Bronze Cuckoos, none
of which was a juv, but it seemed to suggest Horsfield's
 to me, would I be correct in this ?Many thanks for any comments Best regards
Geoff BowenNorwich, UK