birding-aus

Singapore Twitchathon

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Singapore Twitchathon
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:30:59 +1100
Carl Clifford wrote:

>metropolitan area) and a population density of nearly 6800 per Sq. Km.
>Perhaps running madly around the countryside is not the best technique
>in a Twitcathon.

Maybe if Australia was the size of Singapore you'd be right!  Our ~700
regular bird species are somewhat spread out over a large continent -
running madly about is more or less mandatory if you want to see more than
50-100 species.

The last time I participated in the Victorian Twitchathon was in 2003, when
we won the 8-hour event with 156 species.  We stayed within about 100km of
Melbourne during the 8 hours, and did much less mad running about than we
were used to in the 24-hour event, but still considerably more movement than
your average Singaporean Twitchathon-er.

By the way, I note that our old 8-hour total hasn't been matched yet - an
incentive for some in the coming 2008 Vic Twitchathon  ;-)

--
Lawrie Conole