birding-aus

Trip report- Frazer Beach, Munmorah SCA 26th-28th September

Subject: Trip report- Frazer Beach, Munmorah SCA 26th-28th September
From: "" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:28:51 +0800

Hi All,

trip report- Frazer Beach, Munmorah SCA 26th-28th September. We arrived on the Friday afternoon and set up camp at the Frazer Beach camping area. On an inspection of the surrounding area, birds included: numerous New Holland Honeyeaters and Little Wattlebird, but also a pair of Brush Bronzewings. At the time the wind was blowing from the north-east so I could make out some shearwater sp. and Australasian Gannets flying offshore.

Later in the day I could hear Fan-tailed and Horsfield's Cuckoo calling from the heath, aswell as Eastern Yellow Robin and Grey Shrike-Thrush. I also heard the Horsfield's calling at around 9:00pm!

I went for a walk around the beach and nearby heath on the morning of the 27th and found: White-cheeked Honeyeaters, Brown Gerygone, Golden Whistler and a pair of Eastern Rosellas. When I arrived back at the campsite I noticed a large flock of grey birds heading towards us which I thought to be Feral Pigeons, but on a closer look realised that they were infact a flock of about 30 Topknot Pigeons. It seemed unusual to see them flying over heath, but I soon found that there were large groves of Cabbage Tree Palms nearby.

In the afternoon my dad drove me to The Entrance via Wybung Head and Budgewoi, which were both quite uneventful. We stopped at Terilbah Reserve at The Entrance North specifically looking for waders. We soon found a large group of mixed waders feeding on the sandflats around Terilbah Island. The waders included: mainly Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, but also Curlew Sandpipers, Red-necked Stints and Bar-tailed Godwits. Being only my first visit to this area, I was unsure if these waders were migrants or over-winters.
Other birds on the foreshore included: Little Egret in breeding plumage, Black-winged Stilt, Royal Spoonbill and large numbers of Black Swan.

We left around midday on the 28th, but before we left I was able to locate Bar-shouldered Dove, Noisy Friarbird and a mystery parrot! While walking along the beach I heard an unusual call and turning around out came a large parrot from the heath, it then flew over to the lagoon where I watchd it for a bit until some ravens scared it off. Here are the parrot details:

Medium size, approx 40-50cm.
Long tail.
Colour: Lutino, yellow-whitish breast and bright yellow wings, tail and head. Also had purple-pinkish iris and beak.
Most porbably aviary escape, possibly lutino Ringneck parrot.

We headed back via Budgewoi and The Entrance, but we found mostly the same birds as we had the day before.

Species List

Mumorah SCA

Shearwater sp.
Australian Gannet