birding-aus

Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria

Subject: Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria
From: "Mark Bennett" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:11:37 +1000
I day-tripped down to the Bellarine Peninsula from Melbourne today
(28/9/2008). Although the focus of the day was not birding, some good birds
were found. The highlights were:

Queenscliff "Rip" view carpark
Shy Albatross (cauta) (1) - close to shore. Also, dolphins swimming past
close to shore. I also saw a single Black-browed Albatross from the same
vantage point very close to shore on the windy Monday 15 September.

Lake Lorne, Drysdale
-------------------------------
FRECKLED DUCK (40+) Many birds roosting among dead branches on the main
street side of the lake and also out of the wind between two islands. With
limited time, I found 40 easily. Thanks to Robert Ganly who reported 80 on
Sept 25 on Birdline Victoria
http://www.eremaea.com/BirdlineRecentSightings.aspx?Birdline=1

Blue-billed Duck (1)

Intermediate Egret (1). With breeding plumes.

Little Black Cormorant (100+). Notable as a large single raft of LBC's.

Edwards Point Wildlife Reserve (south of St Leonards)
Chestnut-rumped Heathwren (2)

Red-necked Stint. 2 with bright flag standing out like dog's 'nads on the
right leg. My memory has failed me this evening - I think the flags were
orange but they may have been pink. I wish I'd written it down.

Fairy Tern (2)

Happy birding,

Mark Bennett