birding-aus

Peculiar Parrots, Kew, Vic.

Subject: Peculiar Parrots, Kew, Vic.
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:10:06 +0800 (WST)
I was driving southwest along the Boulevard in Yarra Bend Park this morning at
about
8.20 a.m.,  and just past the bridge over the Freeway, I saw two parrots flying.
Long-tailed, predominantly strong green (like Rainbow Lorikeet) on back and
wings, but
nearer bird had a PINK face (forehead and chin) and a creamy yellow patch on
the side of
the throat - maybe right across throat but my glimpse was in profile.. Second
bird
didn't really register.

No possibility of stopping on narrow road infested with cyclists, and birds
were flying
fast in opposite direction.

I have been through Forshaw and Cooper's "Parrots of the World" and I can find
nothing
which fits my memory 'snapshot'.  Perhaps one of the 'Indian Ringneck'
Psittacula group?
Suggestions welcomed.

Coming back of course I kept my eyes open, but saw only 7 or 8 Yellow-tailed
Black
Cockatoos in the same area. Very nice too.

Anthea Fleming