birding-aus

Imm Pallid Cuckoo - rubber band around throat & back of head

To: "desley williams" <>
Subject: Imm Pallid Cuckoo - rubber band around throat & back of head
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:09:20 +0800 (WST)
The cuckoo may have mistaken a red rubber band for a worm or caterpillar. Postal
delivery staff use a lot of rubber bands and drop them all over the footpaths,
and many
other people drop them about. I pick them up whenever I see them, precisely
because
birds and beasts get tangled in them. The strong plastic retaining rings from
bottle
lids (milk containers etc) are just as dangerous, if not worse, because of the
abrasive
nature of the broken plastic points. I have seen a horrendous photo of a
platypus
tangled and badly wounded by the ring from a yoghurt jar.

Anthea Fleming