birding-aus

Baillon's Crake at Altona

To: <>
Subject: Baillon's Crake at Altona
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:40:10 +1000
I visited this site on Saturday morning, and could only find one
Baillon's Crake, right up the east end towards the pond outlet, as John
described.  Only a short look, as cars have been entering the paddock on
the north side of the pond, and at one stage I had three hoons in a car
spinning its wheels in the dirt between me and the bird.

I returned on Sunday morning and found a Baillon's Crake a little
further to the west in the same pond, this time a very long view, and a
brief look at a Spotless Crake in the same place, as both birds flew
towards my side of the pond.

I also easily found an Australian Spotted Crake just on the east side of
the bridge, exactly as John described, and watched it for several
minutes.  No hoons this time, just a dog owner sitting in his car while
his dog ran around excercising itself.

Thanks for reporting your sighting, John. I've briefly looked along here
several times when passing, but there seems to be some psychological
advantage in knowing the birds have been seen recently that helps me
spot them.  Anyone else noticed that?

Peter Shute