birding-aus

Unusual Cormorant

To: <>
Subject: Unusual Cormorant
From: "Birding Services Brisbane" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:52:41 +1000
Hello all

I was in the NT in late August and visited Knuckey's Lagoons near Darwin.
At the Fiddler's Lane lagoon, we (4 of us) saw an unusual cormorant.  It was
about the size of a Little Pied Cormorant.  It was all black except for a
white throat and a broad white band across the belly.  It also had a pinkish
orange bill.  It was with a Little Pied Cormorant and a couple of Little
Blacks.  I took a couple of poor quality photos through my scope which I can
send to people.  I am assuming that it must have been some sort of aberrant
plumage although it looked very 'neat'.  I have had a look at various
cormorant illustrations and the only ones with black/white on the front are
the White-throated in Africa (which is a much larger bird) and the
transitional phase of the Little Pied Shag in NZ.   My bird looked like
neither.  Any comments or  suggestions would be welcome.

My apologies for not posting this sooner but I have been on the road with
little access to email/internet.

Cheers

Roy Sonnenburg