birding-aus

Gold Coast birding spots

To: <>
Subject: Gold Coast birding spots
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:22:39 +0000
Hey all,

       Well, I bought my car this past Monday and finally got out on my first
birding trip in Australia. For the past two weeks i've been picking up lifers
here and there on campus, but this is the first time I actually got away from
the suburbs. I was planning on going to Advancetown Lake, but when I got close,
I saw signs that the access roads are closed for construction. Does anyone know
when this construction is going to be over and the lake will be open again? I'm
kinda disappointed because this seemed like it was going to be a nice close
place to bird in the mornings before class. Oh well.
     Anyways, since I couldn't bird at Advancetown, I headed down to
Springbrook National Park. I walked around for a few hours and picked up a
bunch of lifers, but nothing too rare. A pair of Grey Goshawks were probably
the best birds.
    Now for the main reason of this post. What are some good local spots in the
Gold Coast area to bird? There seems to be a decent number of little parks
around, but I was wondering if there are any spots that seem to be better than
others. Also, it would be really great if I could meet up with a local birder
who could possibly show me around to some areas. I dont have class till 2 on
Mondays and 11 on Tuesday and I have Fridays off so i'm pretty open for meeting
up and doing some birding. I also might try and get up to the Brisbane area
next weekend so if anyone is going out birding and wouldn't mind me tagging
along to learn some of the local spots, that'd be great.

Good Birding,
Ross Gallardy
Bond University
Robina, QLD