birding-aus

Sooty Owl

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Sooty Owl
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:03:51 +1000
Tonight (2/9/08) my brother, Rob and I went out with the local Central
Coast owl expert, Danny O’Brien to look for Sooty Owls.

We went to a site about 150 metes off Maiden’s Brush Rd at Wyoming.
Danny had seen Sooty Owl at this site 10 years previously and was
confident the area would still provided suitable habit for the Sooty.

Danny then whistled for about 10-15 minutes which eventually was
responded to by trilling about 50 metres away in dense growth. At this
stage Danny was trying to attract the owl closer. The first trilling was
soon joined second and for the next 10-15 minutes they called in the
much the same place. Eventually they moved and we were able to see a
dark silhouette moving around in a crown of the tree. At this stage we
didn’t use the spot light.

The “pair” then moved away and we had given up when they started
trilling again, then landed on an exposed dead branch to provide
magnificent views in the spotlight.

The owls then moved around us for another 10 minutes before the owls and
the watchers got bored with game.

What an exciting experience!

Thanks Danny for providing us with a unique experience. Seeing owls is
always a buzz.

Allan Benson

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG.