birding-aus

Facebook and Birding-aus

To: "Russell Woodford" <>, "Katherine Bronte" <>
Subject: Facebook and Birding-aus
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 13:37:53 +1000
Anyone setting up a Facebook account for the first time to try these
groups might want to have a read of this link, which explains some of
the security settings:
http://www.sophos.com/security/best-practice/facebook.html

Some of the unexpected things that can happen when you get onto Facebook
include receiving requests from people to be your "friend".  Facebook
allows people to see lists of people who are "friends" with people
they're "friends" with, so the net can be cast quite widely.  I expect
this might apply to groups too.

People also receive news about who their friends have become friends
with, and who they have dropped off their friends list.  I think this
announcing system is the least expected thing for newcomers, so you
might want to consider disabling the "newsfeed" if you don't like the
idea of this.

Sorry to bore everyone with these details, but it might be useful to
those considering trying this new thing out.

Peter Shute