birding-aus

Sharing photos, particulalry of cuckoos

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Sharing photos, particulalry of cuckoos
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 14:08:02 +1000
Life was much simpler when I didn't take photographs.

I've got six months of photos waiting to go on the Abberton website, but the
birds - and the photos - just keep coming!

I decided resolutely on Thursday morning not to take any more photos until I'd
uploaded the backlog. Then an Azure Kingfisher dropped onto a perch in full
view of the house! So I made an exception. No sooner was I back at my desk than
a couple of King Parrots turned up right outside my window, followed by some
extra smart Pale-headed Rosellas. OK, I took those pics from the house. Then,
when I went up to the gate for the mail, I happened upon a resplendent
Red-backed Fairy-wren  engrossed in some mutual preening with a lady, just a
few feet from me, so off went another few dozen clicks.

I did spend the rest of Thursday at my desk doing some of those things I had to
do before I could allow myself to update the website - though all the while I
was having to resist the lure of Shining Bronze and Horsfields Bronze Cuckoos
calling in the garden. I found it really tough to stay there, but I did, and I
got quite a bit of work done.

So, come Friday morning the website update was all ready and waiting for me -
then Eileen popped her head in and said "I probably shouldn't tell you about
the Fan-tailed Cuckoo just off the verandah", and I cracked! It turned out
there were two birds out there, a male and a female. The male bird was calling
his regular downward trill, while the female zipped around after him calling a
shorter sharper trill on one level with no downward cadence at all. There was a
lot of mutual excitement going on.

Consequently, I now have yet more photos, which seem to have no chance of
getting on to the website while they have any topicality at all. But I've got
to keep them somewhere, so I've made a new page that doesn't link from the
website, a sort of holding area where I can drop new pics while I slog through
the updating process.

http://www.abberton.org/holding.htm will take you there. I've just put a series
of photos up, mostly from the garden during August.

It's whole purpose is just a means of sharing my photos with birding-aussers,
so do take a look - no-one else knows about it!

I'll keep dumping stuff there, without any words or formatting - just a queue
of current photos, waiting for me to do something with them.

I hope you enjoy it.

Bill Jolly