birding-aus

Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Corvid Intelligence or the fashion police?

From: "Belinda Cassidy" <>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:06:53 +1000
I agree that the mask itself may have invited a negative reaction from the
crows. They might have just thought the mask looked like a bicycle helmet,
as certain corvids hate bicycles and will sometimes swoop a person wearing a
bicycle helmet, even if they are no longer near the bike.

Birds can get very wound up about certain colours, cloths, & combinations of
contrasting colours, even the ones who have been hand reared and fed from a
young age by you.  We have started calling birds `the fashion police' and
have stopped wearing certain clothes around them.

For example, we found that Kookaburras, pied butcherbirds, and scared
kingfishers hated it when Stu started wearing his new dark coloured beanie
with the `trendy' white pattern on it turned forward. The (normally tame)
kookaburras would fly away, the sacred Kingfisher and pied butcherbirds will
swoop him and shout out warning calls. Once he turned the pattern on the
beanie around, they would fly up to him and accept food from him and
everything was ok again.

The Kookaburras also fly away when I wear a stripey shirt. I know what
you're thinking, it serves me right for wearing a stripey shirt.

Also, one sacred kingfisher attacks Stu when he wear's a white shirt.

Cheers,
Belinda