birding-aus

Saving Cranebrook and Sartor

To: "Kurtis Lindsay" <>, <>
Subject: Saving Cranebrook and Sartor
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:10:45 +0100
I would just add my two-pen'th to this - when we travelled around Eastern
Australia in 2006 we were just horrified to see how much of it was being put
under concrete, particularly between the mountains and coast all the way from
south to north. Seeing all these patches of houses out in the bush was
extremely depressing, and all needing cars to get to work. .

I know the UK was built all over years ago but we have leant our lesson now and
you have not been able to build a big new development in the countryside for
about 50 years unless it's a whole new town or big village with suitable
infrastructure and green credentials and loads of planning restrictions   And
generally on old industrial sites or low grade farmland. Certainly not on
endangered habitat! (This would probably be against EU regulations in any case
- Poland has just been forced to stop building a new road as it goes through
important wetland habitat)

I just Australians wake up in time to realise what is happening.

Rosemary Royle

Wales, UK