birding-aus

MORE PICS-Brown Goshawk V Collared sparrowhawk

To: "Belinda Cassidy" <>
Subject: MORE PICS-Brown Goshawk V Collared sparrowhawk
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:41:13 +1000
Hi Belinda,

Really good shots of a Brown Goshawk.  I've taken the liberty of putting two
shots of yours in this email.  The first two show really well the wide-eyed
stare and spindly legs and toes (particularly the freakishly long middle toe
of the Collared Sparrowhawk.  As well as Belinda's shot I've also included a
shot of Rohan Clarke's from pbase of a Collared Sparrowhawk that shows the
legs and feet really well.  The second shows fairly well the low-browed
"glare" and chunky toes and legs of the Brown Goshawk.  Sadly you can't
really see how much longer the Collared Sparrowhawk middle toe is in these
shots, but apart from that cracking great shots.

Collared Sparrowhawk
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/male-4.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/image/97096364

Brown Goshawk
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/FEET-1.jpg

Regards,
Chris

ps. Greg I agree that there are various shots of Goshawks and Sparrowhawks
floating through these threads.  I have been trying to talk in general terms
without trying to get bogged down in which shot is which bird.  I must say
I've never used wing breadth or tail length explicitly for ID but will check
it out next time I'm in the field observing one.  As for my description of
GISS, it was my poor attempt at putting my personal impression of the
differences in words.  It dosen't surprise me that you would use different
words to describe your impression.