birding-aus

MORE PICS-Brown Goshawk V Collared sparrowhawk

To: "Chris Sanderson" <>, "Belinda Cassidy" <>
Subject: MORE PICS-Brown Goshawk V Collared sparrowhawk
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:59:23 +1000
Hi Chris,

While I agree that the tail shape is only a good distinguishing character for birds that are not moulting the tail - I once saw the largest Collared Sparrowhawk ever based on its square tail only to realise that it was a Brown Goshawk with the centre tail feathers missing - I am confident that the two birds in flight are Goshawks. This is based on the length of the tail and well as the width and shape of the wings and the GISS(ZZ). I disagree that Sparrowhawks are sleeker, more slender birds. They in fact have shorter tails and shorter broader wings than Goshawks. I do agree that they are generally smaller.

Regards

Greg Clancy