birding-aus

Variegated wrens and red backed wrens living together

To: "Belinda Cassidy" <>
Subject: Variegated wrens and red backed wrens living together
From: peter crow <>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:45:55 +1000
Hello Belinda,

Variegated and Red-backed Fairy-Wrens are quite common together in Brisbane. In places add superb to the mix.

Peter
On 26/08/2008, at 12:53 PM, Belinda Cassidy wrote:

We've spent the week trying to get some pictures of the local wrens in
Brisbane. Its a great feeling, knowing that a pretty big colony is thriving right in the middle of a smallish city forest, tightly packed in along with many potential predators including what appears to be a nesting pair of raptors (still to be ID'd as Goshawks or Collared sparrowhawks), magpies,
drongos, Pied & grey butcherbirds..

They have a nice habitat, consisting of a lantana undergrowth that extends well into the forest, with vines growing all over it, and some tall grass
that kind of joins the pockets of lantana.

We were surprised to find that the `colony' consists of both red backed fairy wrens and variegated fairy wrens, at differing levels of maturity with
many interesting hybrid feather colourings in the young males.

They are very active right now, and gathering dry grass and `fluff' for
their nests. here are some pics for anyone who loves wrens like we do:

1. Immature Red backed fairy wren:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/wren.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/ RedBackedFairyWren1.jpg

2.His Mate collecting bits for her nest:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/ RedBackedFairyWren2.jpg

3.Immature Variegated fairy wren, with just few blue facial feathers:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/ VariegatedFairyWren.jpg

4. Adult Male variegated fairy wren:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/ VariegatedFairyWren4.jpg http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/Serenity-photos/ VariegatedFairyWren5.jpg

.