birding-aus

Masked Owl at Midday

Subject: Masked Owl at Midday
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:48:08 +1000 (EST)
Hi to all,

Heard what I believe to be a Masked Owl calling during the day recently.
While this may not be an uncommon observation, it is the first time I've
noticed an MO in an urban area. This was in the Kotara area, a suburb near
Newcastle NSW, which features reasonable bushland treescapes (for an urban
area), and is also adjacent to Blackbutt Reserve, a larger chunk of
"protected" bush. The unmistakable rasping call - I've listened to MOs on
many occasions now so am very confident about identifying the sound - was
coming from a little block of vegetation made up of a few fairly mature
trees forming a reasonably sheltered area in someone's backyard. Although
I could see Noisy Miners making a bit of a fuss about the source of the
call, unfortunately I was not able to get a look at it.

Wondering if our Masked Owl experts can indicate whether daytime calls
under such circumstances are reasonably common.

cheers

Craig Williams