birding-aus

Question about inter-marrying between raptors

To: "Belinda Cassidy" <>
Subject: Question about inter-marrying between raptors
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:27:52 +0800 (WST)
Excellent photos!
There is a considerable size difference between sexes in both the Collared
Sparrowhawk
and the Brown Goshawk,  and the large female Sparrowhawk is about the same size
as the
small male Goshawk  (this does make life difficult for bird-watchers).

Judging by the very fine slender legs visible on your Blurry Hawk picture, it
is a
Sparrowhawk.

Sparrowhawks nested near our place a few years ago - both parents took many
Feral
Pigeons and Spotted Doves to feed their young. The large female taught her
young their
pursuit skills by carrying the prey about through the trees, dodging and
jinking, with
the young ones in noisy pursuit.  One young male bird was unfortunately killed
when it
collided with a branch. A neighbour brought it for me to see, so I am certain
of the ID.
 I was surprised that the small male bird could carry such large prey. He is
very much
the same size as a Spotted Dove. I don't know which is heavier, hawk or dove.

Anthea Fleming

 I'm having a hard time ID'ing our local pair of raptors, who appear to be