birding-aus

Road Trip - Blueys, Hunter, Border Ranges, Kaputar

To: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Subject: Road Trip - Blueys, Hunter, Border Ranges, Kaputar
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:48:54 +1000
Thanks a lot to Kurtis and Greg for some thorough analysis. Mammals
are hard to ID, especially the myriad hopping things.

I didn't even consider dimorphism with the Wallaroo (Euro? What's the
consensus there?), and clearly in hindsight they were females and
little-uns.

The Parma Wallaby sounds rare, and I'll freely admit that my sighting
wasn't the best, and the ID was mostly based on habitat and
approximate shape. I thought it was a bit taller than a Pademelon,
much closer to 700mm tall when standing that 400mm. The other possible
I've noted was a Black-Striped Wallaby or Whiptail. I suspect the
hoppers on the way to Mt Lindesay were Whiptails, the ones shuffling
around at dusk will have to remain as 'id not confirmed'

RE the Bettong. I'm pretty confident of this one, and probably didn't
describe the habitat very well. We were camped in the walk in
campsites right down on the fringe of Border Ranges NP, where it butts
up against farm land. It is definitely dry sclerophyl there with a
native grassy understory, as the true RF doesn't start till much
further up in the gully of Sheepstation Creek. The silver was fairly
obvious in the moonlight as well. Quite a different shaped snout to
the Pademelons too.

Thanks again for the critique. Could have been embarrassing in a few
years time, telling people about how i saw a Parma Wallaby, possibly
the only record for the state....

EB