birding-aus

Speckled Warbler at Castlereagh Nature Reserve, Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Speckled Warbler at Castlereagh Nature Reserve, Sydney
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:59:56 +1000
Hi all,

Have been working too hard lately, and had to take a flex day to get rid of
built up hours - so instead of writing essays, I chose to spend it birding in
the Hawkesbury! Many highlights, but the one probably of interest to any Sydney
birders was a party of 3 Speckled Warblers feeding in a mixed flock at
Castlereagh NR. http://tinyurl.com/6qfy24 is where I saw them, and here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtroy/2764390027/ is a shot of one of the birds.

Can I also ask for an opinion on what bird this is - also seen at Castlereagh
this morning? http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtroy/2764390057/ I'm thinking it's
a juvenile or female Flame Robin, based on the size, bill shape, light
horizontal bar on wings, and suggestion of red on the belly. I have a poor shot
of its back if that will help with any ID. Any help much appreciated. There
were 2 of these birds around, but no male.

Cheers
Troy