birding-aus

Lots of Questions, Birding Australia

To: (Birding-Aus)
Subject: Lots of Questions, Birding Australia
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 19:43:06 +0000
Hey all,

My name is Ross, and i'm leaving for Australia in about two weeks. I am
currently a student at the University of Pittsburgh and am going to study
abroad at Bond University(Gold Coast) for two semesters. I'll be in Australia
for 8 months and plan on doing lots and lots of birding. Right now I live in
the eastern United States (PA) and i've been birding pretty much my whole life.
I'm sure this listserve will be hearing alot more from in the upcoming months,
but at the moment I have a few questions. Hopefully some on you will be able to
help me out. I have been looking at this listserve for over a year now and I
know that there are alot of great people on here and they have alot of good
info to share.

1. What is the best bird book you recommend that I get? Currently the only
Australian bird book I own is the Field Guide to Birds of Australia by Simpson
and Day, 6th edition
2. What bird finding/site guides should I get? I have done some research and it
seems that most of the bird finding guides I have seen are out of print.
3. Is there any good audio CDs out there for Australian birds (like something
similar to the Stokes or Peterson audio CDs in the US)
4. What company makes the best road maps?
5. I am also planning on buying a car when I get to Australia. Is there any
good used car dealerships in the Gold Coast area that people would recommend/
tips about buying used cars in Aussie that people could give me. I am probably
going to get a 2WD instead of a 4WD cause of price and gas mileage, though I
know a 4WD would be alot better for birding.

Thanks in advance and i'm sure i'll run into some of you alot sooner than later,
Ross Gallardy,
Pittsburgh, PA, USA (currently)
Robina, QLD (August 27th)