birding-aus

ID a nest

To: "'Chris Charles'" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: ID a nest
From: "Chris Baxter" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:46:00 +0930
Hi Chris and All

The reference to egg size (50 mm) was put forward as a guess and is too
large for Grey Shrike-thrush - that was my immediate thought too. However,
looking at the photo of nest and eggs leaves little doubt in my mind that it
is Grey Shrike-thrush. Perfect nest site in stump, perfect structure and
materials in nest and eggs pattern, clutch size spot on too. I have little
doubt that this is correct ID and that estimate of egg size should have been
more like 30mm - as was stated-smaller than a chooks egg but larger than a
quail.

Cheers

Chris Baxter