birding-aus

Off topic - Plant/Tree Guides

To: "'nick leseberg'" <>, <>
Subject: Off topic - Plant/Tree Guides
From: "Gregory Little" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:36:24 +1000
Nick

Welcome to the world of botany. There are heaps of fantastic plant
books. For the whole of NSW there is an expensive 4 volume set called
"Flora of NSW" that has keys to every plant in NSW. There are excellent
comprehensive regional books such as the technical "Flora of the Sydney
Region" and pictorial "Field Guide to the Native Plants of Sydney" plus
others. South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria have excellent multi
volume books that have keys to all the plants in those states. Don't
know if WA, NT or Qld have state wide books on plants. There are books
that cover regions such as the out of print "Flora of the Central
Region" and plant groups such as "Grasses of NSW", "Trees and Shrubs in
Rainforests of NSW and southern Queensland". My advise is get a good
technical field guide with keys for your local area and some picture
books, get a 10x lens, get a book called "Name That Flower", go out and
collect a garbage bag full of plants and start keying them out. You will
find the books in good bookshops, Museums, Andrew Isles and over the
internet. Have fun.

Greg Little

Greg Little - Principal Consultant
General Flora and Fauna