birding-aus

Australian Kestrel with prey

To: <>
Subject: Australian Kestrel with prey
From: Ákos Lumnitzer <>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 06:32:07 +1000
Hi again,

I came across this female Australian Kestrel yesterday morning just outside
of Pugh?s Lagoon, Richmond on the road back from Cornwallis Rd itself. (Not
triangle Lane, but the one north of it). Anyway, I noticed that she had a
wing on which she was busily feeding. It did appear to be pigeon?s wing and
that was my best guess. I wonder whether the Kestrel actually managed to
kill this bird (I didn?t see the event sadly) or whether they are known for
scavenging leftovers that were killed by other raptors.

Thanks for your help folks. :-)

See a couple of pictures here:

http://australasiaforum.net/australasia/index.php/topic,2915.0.html

http://australasiaforum.net/australasia/index.php/topic,2916.0.html