birding-aus

Trip Report Bourke, Mount Isa, Darwin, Kununurra & Alice Springs

To: <>
Subject: Trip Report Bourke, Mount Isa, Darwin, Kununurra & Alice Springs
From: "Robin Benson" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:31:59 +1000
>From 1 July 2008 to 7 August 2008 my wife and I did a trip from Gosford on the
>Central Coast of NSW to Darwin via Bourke and Mount Isa, spent 2 weeks in
>Darwin and then returned via Katherine, Kununurra, Alice Springs, Port Augusta
>and Broken Hill. This was primarily a holiday and not a bird trip but I was
>targeting a number of species missed on previous trips including Gouldian
>Finch, Banded Whiteface and Arafura Fantail.

Highlights included approximately 12 FLOCK BRONZEWINGS flying across the road
10 km west of Barcaldine in western Qld on 2.7.08, many BROLGAS along on the
dirt road between Kynuna and Julia Creek in Qld and also several large flocks
of Budgies.

Tried numerous sites in the Darwin area for ARAFURA FANTAIL and finally located
a bird at Mary River. Excellent views of ZITTING CISTICOLA at Knuckey Lagoon
and BROADBILLED FLYCATCHER at Florence Falls in Litchfield NP. Brief views of a
CHESTNUT RAIL from the footpath that adjoins the housing estate and mangroves
off Tiger Brennan Drive. The bird ran "dodging" for the cover of the mangroves
from the exposed drain. Numerous Chestnut Rails heard calling at Bufffalo Creek
but not seen.

Had a short visit to Gunlom Falls on 20.7.08 and searched only briefly for the
White-throated Grasswren that I had seen on a previous trip in 2000. No luck on
this occasion but did observe a PAINTED FINCH perched in a dead tree adjoining
the lookout at the top of the falls. This appears to be well north of their
normal range.

Located a female HOODED PARROT at the mine site lookout at Pine Creek and saw
several in flight over the Edith Falls road the following day. Staked out the
site on the Ferguson River as listed in Niven McCrie's book for Gouldian
Finches late in the afternoon without success. In fact there was nothing coming
in to drink and the only excitment was a close encounter with two tree snakes.
The following morning at the same location I got a single immature GOULDIAN
FINCH with several LONG-TAILED FINCHES coming in to drink.

Checked numerous sites around Timber Creek for finches on our way to Kununurra.
Located a large flock of YELLOW-RUMPED MANNIKINS at Policemans Point but
birding was generally poor in the Timber Creek area due to strong winds.

Whilst in Kununurra I checked out the T&T site on the Ivanhoe Road and located
a large number of STAR FINCHES plus CRIMSON FINCHES, YELLOW-RUMPED MANNIKINS
and a few CHESTNUT-BREASTED MANNIKINS but no Pictorella Mannikins. My wife and
I did the flight down to the Bungle Bungles and the day trip which included the
walk into Cathedral Gorge. Very spectacular place to visit. Close views of two
WHITE-QUILLED ROCK PIGEONS on the walk into Cathedral Gorge.

We did a day trip to Wyndam on 22.7.08 and located YELLOW-TINTED HONEYEATERS in
the township and also visited Marlgu Billabong in the Parry Lagoon Nature
Reserve. The billabong was teeming with a large variety of birds and well worth
the visit. AUSTRALIAN PRATINCOLE were feeding on the edges of the billabong. On
the return trip to Kununurra I located a single black headed GOULDIAN FINCH
feeding with Masked and Long-tailed Finches approximately 29 West of Kununurra.

On route to Katherine I located PURPLE-CROWNED FAIRY WREN at the south eastern
corner of the bridge at the Victoria River Crossing.

We spent 4 nights in Alice Springs and did some day trips. Close views of DUSKY
GRASSWREN at Simpsons Gap and saw numerous PAINTED FINCH at Ellery Creek
Bighole. Visited the Desert Park in Alice Springs and got a male PIED
HONEYEATER outside one of the bird diplays containing a calling Pied Honeyeater.

I spent time searching the T&T site 21 km north of Erldunda for Banded
Whiteface without success. Only located Southern Whiteface. I tried another
location approximately 1 km further south on the eastern side of the highway
that appears to be a floodway area as the road seal has been extended to the
edge of the formed road. Here I located approximately 10 to 12 BANDED WHITEFACE
and obtained excellent views.

We then based ourselves in Curtin Springs for 3 nights and did day trips into
Kings Canyon and Uluru. Curtain Springs is approximately 85 km east of Yulara.
Nothing unusual in the way of birds but great places to visit.

Our trip was then completed by travelling back via Coober Pedy, Port Augusta
and Broken Hill. In all I recorded a total of 229 species and managed to locate
my key target species.

Rob Benson
Central Coast NSW