birding-aus

Re: Powerful Owl Behaviour

To: "Alex Zorba" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: Powerful Owl Behaviour
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:06:24 +1000
Alex

If rigor had set in, and the possum certainly seems rigid rather than
floppy as a freshly killed animal would be, there wouldn't be any muscular
twitching.  It seems to me that any twitching or movement of the carcass
would have to have a mechanical source and the owl's talons are the only
candidate.

I know more about dead possums than live owls but it may be that the owl
flexes its talons even when relaxed.

Regards

David

             "Alex Zorba"
             <
             Sent by:
             birding-aus-bounc                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [Birding-Aus] Re: Powerful Owl
             04/08/08 04:22 PM         Behaviour

Thankyou Russell and David for your replies.

David, Would an animal twitch even with rigor mortis? The possum was
twitching even when the Owl became completely relaxed and closed its eyes.