birding-aus

WTP (Vic) visit - Friday 1 August

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: WTP (Vic) visit - Friday 1 August
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 13:06:28 +1000
I visited the WTP on Friday 1 August and it was a cold, wet and windy day
with waves extending high tide so that there was virtually no beach for the
duration of my visit. While it was not the best day, I did see lots of
birds but nowhere near the number (in terms of species and frequency)
present in my previous visit (Jan 2008).

My list is below but there were quite a few others that I couldn’t see
clearly enough for a positive identification.   One of those was
suspiciously like the Little Stint - certainly very different to the
Red-necked Stints it was with - but I can't be certain.

   Yellow-rumped Thornbill
   Magpie-lark (Many)
   Australian Magpie
   Little Raven
   Australian White Ibis (Many)
   Yellow-billed Spoonbill (Many)
   Black Swan (Many)
   Australian Pelican (Many)
   Chestnut Teal (Many)
   Pacific Black Duck
   Australasian Shoveler
   Pink-eared Duck
   Musk Duck
   Hoary-headed Grebe (Many)
   Little Black Cormorant (Many)
   Pied Cormorant
   Little Pied Cormorant
   Great Egret (1)
   White-faced Heron
   Cape Barren Goose (1)
   Grey Teal
   Whistling Kite
   Swamp Harrier
   Nankeen Kestrel
   Brown Falcon
   Great Crested Grebe (1)
   Purple Swamphen
   Black-winged Stilt
   Red-necked Avocet
   Masked Lapwing
   Red-capped Plover
   Double-banded Plover
   Red-necked Stint
   Pacific Gull (2)
   Silver Gull (Many)
   Fairy Tern
   Crested Tern
   Singing Bushlark
   Welcome Swallow (Many)
   Australasian Pipit
   Willie Wagtail
   White-fronted Chat
   Crested Pigeon (4)
   European Goldfinch

WTP is still a bit of a maze for me but  I'm starting to find my way around
thanks to tips provided by John McGowan and Luke Shelley.

Regards

David