birding-aus

Birding-Aus and Wikipedia

Subject: Birding-Aus and Wikipedia
From: "Tom Tarrant" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:50:46 +1000
Lately I've been uploading image and media to the Wikipedia Birds Project
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Birds>and noticed
that many of the other contributors were unaware of other resources on the
web from which to extract content.

Surprisingly I could find no mention or article of Birding-Aus or any other
birding mailing-list such as Birdchat, EBN, SABirdnet or Orientalbirding
there so decided to create my own. Before commencing I canvassed some of the
other WP:Birds regular contributors and found that birding mailing-lists
were not deemed as 'notable'
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NOTE>enough and 'unacademic'
and was shown examples where others had submitted
similar material which had been voted down and deleted (one on three
attempts!)

Yesterday I received a message from one of the higher admins who encouraged
me to continue but urged me to find references to B-A and other lists in
reputable journals and I'm seeking your assistance to do this. If you know
of any suitable references in printed media (or on the web) could you send
me this privately.
An article of this nature will raise awareness of a great resource (...and
give Russell a big pat on the back for creating and administering it!)

Tom

--
Tom & Marie Tarrant

http://www.aviceda.org