birding-aus

NSW, Cumberland State Forest and Hawkesbury areas

Subject: NSW, Cumberland State Forest and Hawkesbury areas
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 06:34:11 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks everyone who responded to my RFI Freckled Duck, Australian Shelduck and
Australasian Bittern. I didn't have time to drive down to the ACT area. Also I
thought I should participate in the Swift Parrot/Regent Honeyeater survey.
I went to Cumberland State Forest and to various places in the Hawkesbury
(Richmond/Windsor) area. I saw 80 bird species, but nothing extraordinary and
none of the above...
In Cumberland SF I had lots of Rainbow, Scaly-breasted and Musk Lorikeets - but
no sign of Swift Parrots...
Also in Cumberland SF there were four species of Cockatoos: Sulphur-crested
Cockatoo, Galah, Long-billed and Little Corella (plus Eastern and Crimson
Rosella, and later Red-rumped and Australian King Parrots - good parrot day)
Not too many honeyeaters around today (except for all the Noisy and Bell
Miners). Three singing Scarlet Honeyeaters at Mitchell Park - but no Regent
Honeyeaters...
Four species of heron/egret at Pitt Town Lagoon and surrounds: Eastern Great
Egret, Intermediate Egret, Cattle Egret and White-faced Heron - but no
Bittern...
Cheers,
Nikolas
Nikolas Haass