birding-aus

Strzeleki trip report

Subject: Strzeleki trip report
From: <>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 18:05:46 +1000
Just back from a quick trip up the Strzeleki Track. First stop from Melbourne
was a
detour 60km into Murray Sunset NP to look for Red-lored Whistler. I found one
after a
couple of hours searching, but I was lucky to see this bird, as he did not
call. Next
morning off to north Adelaide for Slender-billed Thornbill. Lots of rain on the
way.
Slender-bills present at Pt Gawler Rd & Middle Beach Rd in windy conditions.
Overnight
at Pt Wakefield, & more heavy rain in the morning to Pt Augusta, easing off as
approached Hawker. I began to wonder if the roads in the Flinders Ranges would
be open,
but fortunately little rain fell here. A brisk 8' at Stokes Hill Lookout. It
didn't
take long to get good views of a Short-tailed Grasswren as it made it's way
down the
hill. There were at least two other birds calling. Lunch at Brachina Gorge,
with nice
views of a Redthroat. On to Mt Lyndhurst Station for the night. I checked the
"2 gate"
site on the way, but saw nothing here. The shearers quarters at Mt Lyndhurst
are basic
but good value, & handy for the "wrecked car" site. Even brisker 4' next
morning as I
searched for Chestnut-breasted Whiteface. At least 8 pairs of Thick-billed
Grasswrens
here, Chirruping Wedgebills, White-winged & Variegated Fairy-wrens, Rufous
Fieldwrens &
a pair of Cinnamon Quail-thrush. After 4.5 hrs I finally picked up a pair of
Whiteface.
A brief, good look, then they were off & not seen again. On the way to
Montecollina
bore I checked most of the dry creeks for Letterwing Kite - no luck though, the
only
birds of interest were 3 Mulga Parrots. There were a few White-backed Swallows
along
the way, & 1 Inland Dotterel about 30km east of the bore. I arrived at
Montecollina
just before dusk. As I was setting up camp I heard wren-like calls coming from
a nearby
bush. I was amazed to see a pair of Eyrean Grasswrens run across less than 15
feet
away. I followed them for about 50mtrs, with great views as they ran between
the sand
hummocks. Unbelievable. Next morning (1') I had a very brief glimpse of a EGW
before I
continued on up the Track to a spot where there were a lot of dead trees (S28
57.150
E140 07.626). 3 Red-browed Pardalotes here, & a few Southern Whiteface, but no
Letterwings. About 20km further on (S28 49.638 E140 07.583) I saw 1 Banded
Whiteface -
that's all 3 species of Whiteface seen on the Track. I think Orange Chats maybe
breeding here, as a female I flushed did a 'broken wing" routine. Cinnamon
Quail-thrush
seen here also.  Not much seen the rest of the way to Innaminka. Very few
raptors
anywhere on the Track. Pied Honeyeaters were common around Innaminka. After
camping at
the Dig Tree, I continued east ( a balmy 4' this morning). There were 2 Bourkes
Parrots
about 130km from Innaminka. Budgerigars & Cinnamon Quail-thrush here too. I
arrived at
the Coopers Creek Crossing Grasswren site around mid-morning, & began searching
the
lignum. Many good birds here, including more raptors seen anywhere on the trip
- Back &
Whistling Kites, Little & Wedge-teiled Eagle, Brown Goshawk &  pair of Spotted
Harriers. After 4 hours of searching I heard Grasswrens. My patience was
rewarded with
fantastic views of a group of at least 4 Grey Grasswrens for many minutes. They
completely ignored me as they playfully hopped & jumped & ran as they foraged.
wonderful end to a great trip.
My thanks to all who have posted information on these sites.
                                   Cheers
                                              Brian Johnston