birding-aus

Western NSW/Qld highlights

Subject: Western NSW/Qld highlights
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:10:52 +1000
A few more highlights from my recent trip to western NSW and SW Qld:

Peery Lake (c.60km east of White Cliffs in western NSW) is currently full for the first time in 8 years. On 4th July it was certainly not teeming with birdlife but there was good diversity. I did see a few dozen Pink-eared Ducks, some Shovelers, Hardheads, Grey Teal, Darter, Pelican, Great Egret, Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Red-capped Plover, etc. In the bush around the lake I found Pied and Black Honeyeaters in the flowering Eremophilas, Chirruping Wedgebill, Red-capped Robin, White-fronted Honeyeater, Bourke's Parrots, White-winged and Variegated Fairy-wrens, Zebra Finch, Crested Bellbird, etc. A beautiful spot which is part of the Paroo-Darling NP; note there are no facilities yet but a day use and camping area are planned.

Many Major Mitchell Cockatoos seen throughout the trip, often feeding on paddy melons by the roadside.

Brolgas seen just north of Hungerford (2) and on the Bulloo River floodplain south of Quilpie (7 seen and more heard).

Good views of Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush at Baldy Top near Quilpie, Qld. (8th July)

40 species seen during a short morning walk in the mulga at the Evening Star Caravan Park near Charleville - including a party of 20 Hall's Babblers preening each other while thawing out in the morning sun after a very cold night; a mixed flock containing 4 thornbill species plus Weebill and Western Gerygone (I looked carefully for Slaty-backed but to no avail). Interesting for here was a single Pied Currawong calling forlornly from the top of the tallest tree (sorry about the anthropomorphism), and Eastern Yellow Robins, near their western limit.

Very good conditions in the area around Dirranbandi (south of St George in southern Qld). Driving the road from Dirranbandi to Hebel in the late afternoon was like driving an obstacle course, with big flocks of birds on the road every hundred metres or so. I have never seen so many Crested Pigeons (thousands!), Peaceful Doves and Cockatiels. Crimson Chats, Budgerigars and Diamond Doves were also seen along the roadside. (10th July)

Cheers,

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba NSW