birding-aus

Fwd: Introduction of Savannah Cats to Australia

To: birding birding-aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Introduction of Savannah Cats to Australia
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 13:03:16 +1000

Begin forwarded message:
John Young has asked me to post this information to the list. Sorry it has been delayed, but it arrived while I was away and I am still sifting through a few hundred emails!

Cheers

Russell

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia
http://www.birding-aus.org

Johnyoungwildlife Enterprises Pty Ltd
www.johnyoungwildlife.com
P-0738704308
M-0409771270

Re-Introduction of Savanah Cats.

In recent times I have been made aware by a number of individuals that-yet again, we are considering the introduction of another non- native animal for our own selfish needs-this time we are considering the import of another Cat-"The Savanah Cat". Are we really serious about such an outrageous suggestion of introducing some thing that could be more detrimental to our Native Wildlife than the Feral Cat.

We cannot be serious in these modern times to even read this proposal giving it any merrit-WHAT SO-EVER.

Are we so so naieve to think this animal will not eventually escape from captivity and become the living hell of our wildlife that words cannot even comprehend!

If we are-then the thought of protecting our rare and threatened species is just a waste of time and energy and maybe tax payers hard earned dollars should be put to a better use.

Have we not learnt any thing about what the introduction of the Rabbit has done to our native environment. Or the Red Fox because we thought we might like to hunt them or even worse-the introduction of the Cane Toad to erradicate the Cane Beetle-Pitty we were so uneducated that we forgot the Cane Beetle could fly and the Cane Toad could not. Now this menace is spreading across our landscape like the plague-out of control-killing any thing that is going to eat it-and folks-news break-its almost unstoppable.

It surprises me in these modern times that introduction of any non- native species is considered on any level without serious work being done at every level.

For more than 50 years now I have virtually lived a dream with understanding our native wildlife at many levels and I can seriously tell you that our pet Moggy is one of Australias most lethal non- native predators. Bare this in mind-it can climb where most other animals cannot-it can spring 2 metres into the air to take birds in flight-it can hunt in total darkness, so it takes animals and birds when they are asleep or totally unawears. And for those that think a cat bell around its neck stops it from hunting-well I dont think I need to explain how ludicrus that is.

Yet now we are thinking about introducing a Cat that can grow to 20pds.

This could be the Super Cat-a cat that could kill almost any native bird or small mammol.

I find this hole concept beyond any common sense ever displayed by us mere humans who have the ultimate power to intervene with any thing that destroys this planet or DO WE.

I believe the federal Environment Minister Mr Peter Garret wont condone this foolish introduction if there is any risk what so ever.

If thats true - then - THERE IS A RISK AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL AND THIS OUTRAGEOUS AND IDIOTIC PROPOSAL CANNOT BE CONDONED.

John Young
johnyoungwildlife.com.au.

--

--
This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this email. If received in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all copies. The College does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free. The attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those of the College.