birding-aus

NANKEEN NIGHT HERON

To: "Stalder" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: NANKEEN NIGHT HERON
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:39:47 +1000
Helen

Thanks for sharing your discovery; they are striking birds and not seen
that often.

I have been lucky enough to see a few Nankeen Night Herons over the years
including one at Blackburn Lake and another at Queenscliff earlier this
year.

My best Nankeen Night Heron experience was at Dalhousie Springs in the
Simpson Desert back in the late 1990s.  My young son (as he then was) was
enjoying the hot water (it was July) but returned to our camp to tell me
that he had found a 'funny spotted bird'.  He described a hunched bird a
bit like a heron but with spots all over it.  I joined him in the water and
swam to where he saw the bird.  It was an immature Nankeen Night Heron that
quite calmly ignored us we treaded water not far from its perch.

Regards

David

             "Stalder"
             <
             pond.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  <>
             birding-aus-bounc                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [Birding-Aus] NANKEEN NIGHT HERON
             10/07/08 05:54 PM

Hi there
In a rush, have not read through this site properly.
Today saw this unusual bird in the pond outside the Croydon Library in
Victoria.   Is it a Nankeen Night Heron (Nyctiorax Calendonicus)   I had to
look it up on the internet, have never seen one before.

Regards