birding-aus

Gang-gang near Brisbane

To: david taylor <>
Subject: Gang-gang near Brisbane
From: Mike Owen <>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 21:02:41 +1000
david taylor wrote:
 Tom,

 A Gang Gang Cockatoo was reported a year or two ago from the same
 area, so possibly the same bird.

 Sounds very much like it is an escapee.

The following message was sent in 2003

 Subject: [BIRDING-AUS] Gang -gang Cockatoos in Queensland
> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:14:48 +1000 From: "Gold Coast Birds"
> <> To: "birding-aus"
> <>
>

> Yesterday (July 31st) the Gold Coast Bird Group visited the Venman
>  Bushland National Park near Mt Cotton - South of Brisbane.We
> located 2+ Gang-gang Cockatoos (Callocephalon fimbriatum). A single
>  bird was intially found by Hans Beste, and subsequently viewed by
> the whole group. A further search of the area found a second bird
> and from the number and position of calls heard at least 3 birds
> were present. A general consensus of the group was that these birds
>  did not act like 'escapees'! If these birds are indeed ' wild
> birds'  this could probably be the first record for Queensland.
>

> Gold Coast Bird Group.

Maybe the same bird?  At the time I asked around avicultural circles
and no one appeared to have had any escape in that area.

cheers,

Mike Owen
Sunshine Coast