birding-aus

Princess Parrots in WA

To: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Princess Parrots in WA
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 17:57:52 +1000
This is very good news because there have been hardly any reports of Princess Parrots in recent years but several reports of their scarcity or even absence from several previously favoured haunts. Fire had devastated some of those areas such as around Lake Tobin. For those unable to read Don's message he reported the presence of Princess Parrots near Well 44 on the Canning Stock Route (CSR) and at Jupiter Well, both in WA. As Don was heading north after seeing the birds, he met a group led by George Swann travelling south so passed on the good news. George's group went to Don's spot near Well 44 and saw up to 11 birds together on three consecutive days. Sorry to tell you this Don, but eventually they got crippling close views not the fly-aways you got! Even so, the days of seeing 100 in a day and nearly 300 in a trip as we did on the CSR in 1993 are well and truly gone it seems. However a warning. Don advises that the best place to look for them at the moment is at Jupiter Well because the road from Alice Springs is excellent and you don't have to battle the corrugations and dunes of the CSR. But I suppose you can still get stranded because of vehicle break downs. It was near Jupiter Well on the Gary Junction Highway that my wife and I sat for fifteen (15) days awaiting rescue in 1991. We were lucky to survive. That road which the locals call the Western Desert Highway was always better than the CSR but far less frequented. I suppose these days everyone would have a satellite phone and an Epurb. But then we had a radio but couldn't use it because both our batteries were flat. And satellite phones need to be recharged I guess. Another point is that in those days one needed permission from the traditional land holders to camp at Jupiter Well. Even some that had a permit were ejected. Don, if you reply to this please do so by direct email, not via an attachment because they are not allowed on Birding-Aus.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136