birding-aus

Princess Parrots

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Princess Parrots
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:59:59 +0800
Last year I drove the entire Canning Stock Route but missed out on seeing
Princess Parrots. Tried again this year. We drove east along the Kidson Track
which starts at an unmarked turnoff 40km south of Sandfire Roadhouse on the
Great Northern Highway in the far west of Western Australia and which
eventually meets the CSR at Kunawarritji near Well 33. We continued east from
Kunawarritji along the Gary Junction Road and camped at Jupiter Well on the
20th and 21st of June. Two mornings in a row we had Princess Parrots there. On
the second morning they perched in Desert Oaks above our tents at the well
itself. I was only a short distance away. My wife called me up on the walky
talky but by the time I got there they had moved on. She took a photo and I
missed out. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Then we back-tracked to the CSR and headed north. 13km south by road from Well
44, 7 Princess Parrots flew across the road in front of us and landed in
eucalypts some distance away. I headed off through the spinifex with the camera
but they flew on. I followed and managed a distant shot to prove I had seen
them. 3 more birds flew up past me from behind and joined up with the original
flock and all flew on together.

Seems like Jupiter Well is the best place to look for them at the moment and as
the road from Alice Springs to Jupiter Well is excellent you don't have to
battle the corrugations and dunes of the CSR.

Don Hadden

P O Box 7123
Lismore Heights
NSW 2480