birding-aus

Gouldlian Finch advice

To: Bob French <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Gouldlian Finch advice
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 08:03:14 +0930
Back in 1988-91 I surveyed Gouldian Finch throughout most of the Top End
with a team of field assistants.  I've also looked for them as a birdwatchng
guide, since 1983, and found them at dozens, if not hundreds of places.

I've found them drinking in the footprints of horses and cattle near  Mary
River Park (in 1988), in the Water Gardens in the middle of Pine Creek,  at
the Pine Creek sewage ponds and at mine sites.

This is going to be a rather dry year, and so the rapid drying out of
ephemeral water holes will force Gouldian Finches to more permanent
waterholes, those with shallow edges (if they have a choice).  My place of
choice is the Fergusson River.

There is a more complete description of Gouldian Finch habitat and list of
sites in my book "Birds of Australia's Top End".

Denise L Goodfellow