birding-aus

correction and bird list

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: correction and bird list
From: "Wim Vader" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:27:50 +0200
Dear friends,
                       In my bird piece yesterday I included a link to my
website, where there should be pictures of the Tromsø fjords and of
Sommarøy. there were , too, when I checked this out last week. But when
Peter Madvig now asked: 'where do I click?', and I checked my website once
more, I could not find the right spot anymore either. Very sorry indeed! You
would not know, I suppose, but it is quite hard to be stupid!

                         I use the opportunity to add the bird list from
yesterdays excursion; it gives a nice idea of what one sees here on a n
average day in the field. Of course, other destinations would have brought
other birds; there are no loons on this traject in summer (And the Horned
Grebes that used to nest on a little lake along the road close to Sommarøy,
have been absent three years in a rwo now); and there are always strange
gaps: no great Tits or greenfinches this day, both among the more common
local birds.

                                                          Wim Vader, Tromsø
Museum
                                                          9037 Tromsø,
Norway

Here follows the list of birds seen yesterday:

Cormorant                   Phalacrocorax carco
Grey Heron                 Ardea cinerea
Greylag Goose            Anser anser
Shelduck                     Tadorna tadorna
Wigeon                       Anas penelope
Teal                            A. crecca
Mallard                       A. platyrhynchos
Northern Eider            Somateria mollissima
Red-breasted Merganser Mergus serrator
White-tailed Sea Eagle  Haliaeetus albicilla
Willow Grouse            Lagopus lagopus (excrements only)
Oystercatcher             Haematopus ostralegus
Ringed Plover             Charadrius hiaticula
Whimbrel                   Numenius phaeopus
Curlew                       N. arquata
Redshank                   Tringa totanus
Wood Sandpiper        T. glareola
Ruff                            Philomachus pugnax
Arctic Skua                 Stercorarius skua (Parasitic Jaeger)
Common Gull              Larus canus
Herring Gull                L. argentatus
Great Black-backed Gull L. marinus
Arctic Tern                 Sterna paradisaea
Black Guillemot          Cepphus grylle
Feral Pigeon               Columba livia
European Cuckoo      Cuculus canorus (heard only)

Sand Martin              Riparia riparia  (Bank Swallow)
Meadow Pipit           Anthus pratensis
Rock Pipit                A. petrosus
White Wagtail          Motacilla alba
Dunnock                  Prunella modularis
Northern Wheatear  Oenanthe oenanthe
Fieldfare                  Turdus pilaris
Song Thrush            T. philomelos
Redwing                  T. iliacus
Willow Warbler       Phylloscopus trochilus
Pied Flycatcher        Ficedula hypoleuca
Willow Tit                Parus montanus
Eurasian Magpie      Pica pica
Hooded Crow         Corvus cornix
Northern Raven       C. corax
Starling                    Sturnus vulgaris
Chaffinch                 Fringilla coelebs
Brambling                F. montifringilla
Redpoll                   Carduelis flammea
Reed Bunting           Emberiza schoeniclus