birding-aus

RFI re 8x42 v 10x 42

To: George Oakes <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI re 8x42 v 10x 42
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:43:55 -0700 (PDT)
It is all "personal taste": especially for pelagics, where you can't use a
scope, and for the rainforest, where I prefer not to carry my scope around, I
love my Leica 12x50 (yes: twelve by fifty). For e.g. distant Pterodroma petrels
on pelagics or small birds in the canopy there is a great advantage over
smaller binoculars. For me there is no major difference in shaking, which
starts to my experience at a magnification of 15+. Moreover, modern 10x and 12x
binoculars have a wide angle and a very light sensitive, albeit not as wide an
angle and not as light sensitive as 8x.
The major disadvantage of my Leica 12x50 are close up views of butterflies,
dragonflies, hummingbirds (in the Americas) and so on, where smaller bins are a
great advantage over mine.
Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW