birding-aus

White-backed Swallow nest sites.

To: "BA email" <>
Subject: White-backed Swallow nest sites.
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 22:04:17 +1000
Hi there,
A while ago I asked for info, in the hope of being able to recreate a destroyed
nest-site of the White-backed Swallow here in northern Vic, near the Terrick
Terrick NP.
I had some very useful responses, and it appears there is the will locally to
make it happen ( I'll keep pestering if it doesn't! ).
Th plan is to use an excavator to form a mound of gypsum ( sand would work, but
gypsum is what we have at the site) at least two and a half metres high maybe
more.  We will need to compact this as best we can ( driving the excavator over
it ?) and then cut right through the middle down to the ground, or nearly so,
creating two near vertical banks.
The burrows need to be out of reach of Foxes who would dig them out given the
chance.
If it happens and the birds return I'll be sure to let you all know !

Cheers,
Simon Starr.