birding-aus

raptor prey (was sea eagle observation)

To: "Douglas Carver" <>
Subject: raptor prey (was sea eagle observation)
From: "Kurtis Lindsay" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:45:29 +1000
A man who lives nearby me in Sydney was disturbed to find a headless feral pigeon on his doorstep.

He had this pre-conceived notion that someone (another person) had placed it there as a threat. We often get Peregrine Falcons in this area as well as Brown and less common Grey Goshawks, I'm leaning towards one of these feathered suspects.

On the topic of witnessed kills, one year in the Capertee valley I watched an Australian Hobby tackle a Common Bronzewing to the ground. Struggling, the hobby continued to rip out bunches of feathers. The pigeon then succeeded to fly off for a few metres before the Hobby caught it again and flew (very awkardly) out of sight with its quarry.

It was interesting as the Pigeon looked as though it was the same size as the hobby.

Kurtis Lindsay