birding-aus

baby noisy miner rescue

To: Scot Mcphee <>
Subject: baby noisy miner rescue
From: peter crow <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:36:49 +1000
I was interested in reading and following Scott's taking care of the baby noisy miner.

What he and his wife did was a very kind deed but was it necessary or practical.

Modern society seems to have a concept of life must preserved at all costs or at least where ever practical.

At the same time we happily take the lives of some animals for our benefit - Chickens.

Noisy Miners are natives. does this put them ahead of chickens?

Noisy Miners are not threatened in Brisbane so the loss of one nestling would not be of consequence to the population.

Noisy Miners in Brisbane are probably about in far greater numbers than is good for the environment and for other bird species.

When talking to the people at public events I hear more complaints about NMs than about any other species indicating to me Brisbane has too many.

I don't advocate culling any species but I often question the wisdom of human intervention to sustain the life of members of a species not under threat that would otherwise die of natural causes.

Peter