birding-aus

Pied Heron update

To: "peter crow" <>, "Barbara Jones" <>
Subject: Pied Heron update
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 22:05:06 +1000
Yes, a very good record for the Far South Coast of NSW. I've stopped to have a
look at the waterbirds on Glebe Park quite a few times. There's a sizable
Grey-headed Flying-fox colony at this site also.

Aside from the Pied Heron seen in Bega (as far as I can work out), there are
four records for NSW:
- a bird near Wallanthery on the Lachlan River, near Griffith, in Central NSW;
- one near Quambone bordering the Macquarie Marshes;
- one at Lake Innes near Port Macquarie;
- and one at Macksville near Nambucca Heads.
Alan Morris may have a few more records in sunny NSW.

For the record SOUTH AUSTRALIA has three record:
- one near Leigh Creek; one on the Murray near Swan Reach;
- and one seen at Innamincka on the Cooper Creek near Cameron Corner.

There's a couple of QUEENSLAND records nearby on the Eyre Creek flood plain.

VICTORIA has two records, interestingly neither of them in the BA Atlas:
- one at Gunbower Island on the Murray River 23 December in 1973;
- and one seen by Jim Reside at McLeod's Morass near Bairnsdale 18 March 2005.

There are no records in the APPLE ISLES and sorry Canberra, there are no
records in the ACT.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby