birding-aus

10 questions from my Parkes trip

To: Terry Bishop <>, <>
Subject: 10 questions from my Parkes trip
From: John Graff <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 23:13:15 +1030
Hi

Just another two cents worth

1. Barn Owl is probably the more likely of the two if it had a white breast.
3. Would young Little Pied Cormorant also be possible?
10. I wouldn't have thought you would be likely to find/flush Western Gerygones
that close to the ground. The call also doesn't sound right.

Cheers
John Graff

> Dear fellow birders,
>
> A month ago my family and I headed out to stay on a farm NW of Parkes
> (Central W NSW) for a week's holiday. These are the questions I have from my
> birding there. I will attempt to get a trip report together and posted soon,
> but first the questions:
>
> 1. Mystery owl: As we were driving up to our house on the farm at night (8
> or 9 pm I think it was) we saw a mid-sized owl grey with white breast,
> sitting on a wire fence. Perhaps 15" or 45-50 cm. Drove past it with a
> crying baby desperate for sleep, and then went back with my boys later. It
> flew off low over the grass when we were perhaps 15 M away.
>
> Any takers on what kind of owl that might have been?
>
> "In and around the Gunningbland State Forest NW of Parkes there are both Barn
> and Southern Boobook Owls."

> 3. Juvenile cormorant sitting on a dam (???) -- colour was all wrong for an
> adult -- too pale, but it had pied cormorant patterns and dived like one. I
> take it this is normal for juveniles? I couldn't find juveniles in my few
> books.
>
> "Most probably a Juvenile Pied Cormorant. They are paler."

> 10. Also was walking in 30-50cm thick grass, I twice stumbled upon another
> unknown:
>
> The first time, I flushed a pair of small (15-20 cm?), fawn-coloured birds
> not 10 feet (3 metres) away from me and watched them flutter off to grass 20
> metres ahead. So I walked that way, got distracted by a pair of pied
> butcherbirds, and then suddenly heard one of the birds behind me. Turning
> around, I saw and heard one of the birds not a metre behind me! Why it
> bothered calling out with something as large as me there I can't imagine,
> but I watched it quickly go into the grass and never saw it again. The song
> went 'did-li-dit, did-li-dit', I think. (Don't you just love trying to
> describe or comprehend bird calls written in script? Largely a useless
> exercise I reckon!)
>
> About an hour later, I flushed two more and got a much better look. Fawn
> backs, white underparts. They flushed from the grass, flew again only 20 M
> or so ahead, and then disappeared into the grass.
>
> Any takers on what these might have been?
>
> "variegated fairy-wrens & western greygones in the area"

It's simple! Sell your car for just $30 at CarPoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org